Montenvers – Mer de Glace
Mer de Glace
Departing from Chamonix, this famous rack and pinion railway brings you to the Montenvers site at 1913 m. An imposing panorama of the Mer de Glace glacier, the Drus and the Grands Jorasses.
The tour of the “Grotte de glace” (Ice Cave) takes visitors into the very heart of the glacier. Re-sculpted every year, it describes the life of mountain people in the early 19th century. It can be entered either by a walk of around 20 minutes on a footpath, or by gondola lift. NB: There are more than 400 steps from the arrival of the gondola lift to the entrance to the cave.
A world of discovery awaits you at the new exhibition centre at the Montenvers Mer de Glace. Here the creation and evolution of the glaciers over the centuries is explained in detail.
THE TEMPLE OF NATURE
The Temple has now reopened to the public and an innovative optical theatre takes visitors on a trip into the past where they will meet the likes of Forbes (the Scottish geologist), Chateaubriand, Louis Pasteur and Agutte the artist.
The complete tour (including the cave and travelling time) takes an average of 2 to 3 hours. The time required for the tour may be doubled during peak periods.
Hill-walks include the hike from Montenvers to Plan de l’Aiguille via the Grand Balcon Nord hill-walking trail, and also the return descent down to Chamonix via Les Planards or Les Bois village.
There are three choices for eating : either a Savoyard or traditional meal at the Restaurant du Refuge du Montenvers, or a lunch in the bistro with a view at Panoramique Mer de Glace or finally a quick snack at the Glacier Bar.
Altitude: 1’913 m
Accessibility: by Train.
Timetable: Operates year-round
- From 01/05 to 07/07/2017, daily between 8.30 AM and 5 PM.
- From From 08/07 to 27/08/2017, daily between 8 AM and 6.30 PM.
- From 28/08 to 10/09/2017, daily between 8.30 AM and 5.30 PM.
- From 11/09 to 01/10/2017, daily between 8.30 AM and 5.30 PM.
- From 21/10 to 22/12/2017, daily between 10 AM and 4.30 PM.
- From 23/12/2017 to 16/03/2018, daily between 10 AM and 4.30 PM.
- From 17/03 to 30/03/2018, daily between 10 AM and 5 PM.
Closed exceptionally on 23/05.
EXCEPTIONALY CLOSED ON THE 23rd OF MAY.
ICE-CAVE AND CABLE-CAR CLOSED FROM THE 8TH OF MAY TO 26TH OF MAY INCLUDED.
- Adult: 31.50 € (Includes: return trip by train Chamonix-Montenvers + return trip by Mer de Glace gondola lift + visits)
- Child (5-14 years): 26.80 € (Includes: return trip by train Chamonix-Montenvers + return trip by Mer de Glace gondola lift + visits)
- Family pass: 97.70 € (2 adults + 2 children & 3rd, 4th and 5th of the same family are free).
- Free entry for children < 5 years.
information sources: Chamonix
Montenvers train – Mer de Glace
35 pl de la Mer de Glace
Phone : +33 (0)4 50 53 22 75